14 November 2006

Vengeance

When I regained consciousness, my heart was as cold as the rest of my body.

Nobody knocks me out. Nobody. I grew up as a Warrior. I know all about strength and endurance. And I don't get knocked out. It doesn't happen.

So, when I was casting a flurry of spells on the Mighty Rarab, enjoying the night air of Buburimu Peninsula, the last thing I expected was to be knocked out. It was almost over. He was breathing his last breath. One final swing of my Holly Pole and he would be down.

My health was dwindling, but I wasn't worried. I was alone, and that rabbit stood no chance of defeating me. Cocky? Perhaps. But I knew what I was doing. Or so I thought.



But I digress; I'm getting ahead of myself.

Last night, I approached Dawezy about trying something else. I had reached level twenty, and I was experienced enough in the dark arts to travel to Qufim Island if I wished to do so. I, however, did not wish to do so. It was great having her help me out, but my small mana pool meant stopping frequently so I could recover. It was time for something new, something different.

"Blue magic? I didn't think you even had an interest in such things," I remarked.

"Aye, it's something I've been toying with in me spare time. I s'pose it would be quicker for both of us to study at the same time."

And study we did. First on a series of Sylvestres, then one Zu after another, and finally, goblins. Goblin Butchers seemed to be the easiest to fell. Between the black magics, blue magics, and a constant Dia effect, they died off quickly. We were gaining experience quickly, enjoying the sunset and painting the sand red with the blood of our enemies. Buburimu Peninsula would be claimed for Windurst!

Then it happened. An angry Goblin Butcher, hidden behind a collection of oddly-shaped rocks, caught wind of us slaying a nearby Sylvestre. I thought we could take him, but he overpowered us. We ran. We ran, and we ran, and we ran. And when I was just about out of stamina, Dawezy provoked the goblin, and we continued to run.

We made it all the way to Tahrongi Canyon, aching, but alive.

We rested a while, and slowly crept back to the peninsula. No sign of the angry Butcher anywhere. We picked up where we left off, being more cautious of our surroundings. Dawezy's skills raised quickly, and she attained level 21. We continued fighting for a moment, but she needed to hurry off to Aht Urhgan. The Troll Mercenaries were advancing on the capital, and her skills as a Red Mage were requested.

I was so close to level 21 myself that I could taste it. I could almost decipher what was written on the Thunder scroll. I wanted to play with lightning. I told her to go on without me, that I would be okay.

I killed a mandragora. And another. Then a rarab. A goblin. A Zu. I was there. I was RIGHT THERE.

And then I found the rarab. He looked like fairly easy prey, so I didn't rest up beforehand. I still had half of my MP. I would be just fine. He had no chance of defeating me.

And then, a decidedly angry Goblin Butcher came out of nowhere. Blindsided me from behind the Outpost. What was meant to be a supposedly "safe zone" offered no safety for me. One single stab from his knife, and I was down.



Vengeance will be mine.

I have single-handedly slain a dozen goblins since my return. Dawezy will join me later, again as a Blue Mage, to clear Buburimu Peninsula of troublesome creatures. But when I find that Goblin Butcher who chased us to Tahrongi Canyon and later stabbed me in the back last night... he will be mine. He will be all mine.

He shall be the first to taste my Thunder.



afterthought:
Sweet, sweet revenge. That felt good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alison the Amazing Thief said...

LOL How many time have we all done that. I get impatient and push the limits too much. It's not good to let me roam about trying to solo things. It gets too easy, I get bored, I pick fights with big things and I die. It's so fun! How can I resist?

16 November, 2006 11:42  
Blogger Argentos of Windurst said...

Thunder is a really cool spell, too. When I'd hit level 21, everyone kept telling me to use it, but I refused to do so until I found a Butcher.

Then, when we finally found one, I disbanded from the party and solo'd it. Bind. Paralyze. Blind. Dia. Banish. Blizzard. Thunder. And then it was dead. It felt so good to finally have a little retribution.

I should probably write about last night soon. It's worth writing about since it wasn't the same old same old. My friend Sean came back to the game (again) for the first time in a few months, and then our friend Andy happened to be online (he's British, so our paths don't cross often), so when Brendan got home, we had a little foursome action in Castle Oztroja.

That was... an adventure, to say the least.

16 November, 2006 14:11  
Blogger Guankim said...

Ahhh, isn't it wonderful to witness the splatterings of the evil creatures as you stand triumphant above sizzling goblin torso? Well, at least when it doesn't stain your clothing, it is!

Good job on the vengeance, sounds like you might be suited for the path of the Dark Knight when you're done with the Dark Mage..oh, Black Mage, excuse me there.

10 December, 2006 18:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home